Last year, Governor Newsom signed into law Senate Bill 1407, the California Employee Ownership Act, which mandates the establishment of the Employee Ownership Hub within the Governor’s Office of Business & Economic Development (GO-Biz). The Hub is designed to increase access and reduce barriers to employee ownership, allowing many more workers and small businesses across California to reap the benefits of employee ownership. However, the State of California has not allocated money to fund the Employee Ownership Hub. We are asking the State of California to allocate $5 million to fund the Employee Ownership Hub.
Employee ownership is a well-proven strategy for business resilience, and creates wealth-building opportunities, workplace control, quality jobs for workers. There is compelling evidence that employee ownership saves the government money, as employee-owned businesses are more resilient during economic downturns and far less likely to lay off workers. With a potential budget shortfall looming, there is no better time for California to invest in worker ownership to preserve small businesses, protect good jobs, and save the State money. Please take a few minutes to complete these 2 easy advocacy asks to urge the State of California to fund the Employee Ownership Hub:
1. Tweet at CA Senate Budget Leadership to ask them to fund the Employee Ownership Hub:
Take a moment to tweet at California Legislative Budget Leaders to ask them to fund the Employee Ownership Hub! Here is how:
- Sample Tweet: “Please fund the Employee Ownership Hub within @CAGoBiz! Employee ownership creates wealth-building opportunities and good jobs for workers, preserves small businesses, and strengthens local economies! All while saving the State money! #WeOwnIt #CaLeg #CaBudget”
- Reply to Sample Tweet“@RendonAnthony @AsmPhilTing @alex_lee @JimPatterson559 @EGReyesCA @BuffyWicks @SenToniAtkins @NancySkinnerCA @SenAlexPadilla @CASenCaballero @SenRogerNiello”
- Here is a graphic you can use in the tweet.
2. Take one minute to sign this letter asking the State of California to invest in employee ownership:
- It only takes a moment! It is most impactful for us to have organizations sign on, so please sign on behalf of your organization if you are able to.